Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

I was granted a visa on a 10 year route (British wife +

Customer Question

I was granted a visa on a 10 year route (British wife + British daughter) outside the rules. Will it be possible to switch to 5 year route and how ? What is the best possible option.(UKBA)
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Do you mean that you have been granted a ten year multi entry visit visa?
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
10 year route to settlement under family life as a partner in 2003. I was wondering if I could switch to 5 year route to settlement and how ?
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
If it is the case that you have a long-term visa at the moment which allows you to live in the UK (ie. not a visit visa) and you meet the eligibility criteria for a spouse visa then you can apply to switch to a spouse visa from within the UK.
However, please note that if you do switch to a spouse visa then the 5 years residency that you will require for ILR will start from the date you receive your spouse visa, so that the time you have spent in the UK will effectively be unusuable for ILR purposes under the spouse visa.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In the case where I am not legally married to my partner but leaving together for 5 years, could I apply for 5 year partner route ?
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Hi, You could but only if you were able to prove that you had lived together for a period of two years at the date you applied for an unmarried partner visa because this is the requirement to prove you are unmarried partners. Tom
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Is there any further information you require?
I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on the information I have provided.
Kind regards,
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the late response
Please could you list the criteria
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Here:
https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk/eligibility