Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

I applied via the 10 year application route. I got

Customer Question

I applied for ILR via the 10 year application route. I got my ILR in September 2014 , does that mean I have to wait till September 2015 before I can apply for naturalisation bearing in mind I would have lived in the UK for more than 6 years by then? thanks
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. Are you married to a UK citizen?Kind regards, Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no i am single

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Hi Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.If you are not married to a UK citizen then you will have to meet the standard requirements for naturalisation purposes and cannot benefit from the spouse requirements.The standard requirements are here:https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-citizen/check-if-you-can-apply You will note in the second set of bullet points that there is a requirement that you must have had “had indefinite leave to stay in the UK for the last 12 months” before you are able to apply. This is to show that you have been free from immigration time restrictions for two months.This means that the earliest date that you could apply would be the first anniversary of the date that you received ILR. So if you received ILR in September 2014 then you would be able to apply on the same day in September 2015. If you applied before this time without being married to a UK citizen then your application would be rejected and the application fee retained by the home office. My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question. Kind regards,Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you . you have been very helpful . can i ask another question or do i have to start a new window ?

thank you

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
If it is directly related to the above issue then I will answer here..
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Apologies for the multiposts - computer problems here!