Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

Thomas. Is it better to apply citizenship via

Customer Question

Hi Thomas. Is it better to apply for british citizenship via solicitor or directly my self. Im in the UK on ILR with British Citezen.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
There is no legal requirement which says that you must instruct a solicitor when you apply for naturalisation.
Therefore, if you are confident that you can refer to the eligibility criteria (https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-citizen/check-if-you-can-apply) and can pull together all the supporting documentation then there is nothing stopping you from applying yourself.
The home office guidance notes on naturalisation and the application itself are actually pretty good:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-to-naturalise-as-a-british-citizen-form-an
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Tom
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Is there any further information you require?
I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on the information I have provided.
Kind regards,
Tom