UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I have an immigration law question about UK visas. I applied

I have an immigration law question about UK visas. I applied for a Tier 2 (General) visa last week. I am in the US (green card holder; I am Australian citizen) and submitted everything to the British Consulate in New York. Paid for priority processing. The employer is the University of Oxford (the job is a professorship), and the certificate of sponsorship was included along with all other supporting evidence.
Today I received an email saying that the "assessment of your application has not been straight-forward, and we anticipate that we will not be able to complete your application in the timeframe quoted previously."
What does this mean? Does this suggest there might be problems, or just it takes longer? My travel history is quite extensive (travel a lot for my job) so there's a lot of stamps in my passport. I have also been to the UK for brief trips six times in the last year, if that's pertinent.
Two dependents applied at same time - wife and son. They did not receive this email but I assume they aren't processed until my application is approved.
Thanks in advance for the help.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
I would not worry about it at this stage.
It seems that your application and the applications of your dependants require further checks in the UK as is normal for such applications.
Your dependants applications are linked to yours and they will be processed at the same time as yours.
May I help further?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Okay, thanks for the quick answer. What kind of checks do they do for such applications?

Verification checks with your employer and sometimes background checks to see if you have any criminal records.
All the best