Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

My boyfriend is an illegal immigrant and he keeps suggesting

My boyfriend is an illegal immigrant and he keeps suggesting that I change some of my bills to his name. Do I have any risks doing that? I mean I have vivid imagination and could he like get a loan and leave me responsible for that or something like that? Also as far as I know he would need to provide proof of at least 2 years of living with me but he says he could do it with less, is he right?
Also I don't know if it makes any change or not but I am an EU citizen, not British.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your patience
How long have you lived together please?
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We've been together for 2 years already, but we don't live together.

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
You will have to apply for an EEA family permit in order to secure your leave to remain in the UK to work. You will need to apply for it before you travel and must submit the appropriate documentation to the UK embassy closest to you:-
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/infs/inf18eeaswissnationals
If you are an EEA citizen and he wished to regularised his status then he would have to apply for an EEA residence card arguing that you should be regarded as “unmarried partners”. This means you will have to show that you are in a “durable relationship”, usually this would mean having cohabited for greater than two years but you can sometimes be successful in arguing that you should be unmarried partners even if you have not actually lived together for the whole of the 2 years provided that you can show that you were in a genuine relationship.
There is nothing particularly to worry about in term of putting the utility bills in your joint names. This does not give him the ability to run up debts in your name and it is useful in proving your length of cohabitation.
Provided you do not sign anything relating to other loans/bank accounts/credit cards in your joint names then you will be able to protect yourself in terms of debt.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I didn't really understand the part about the family permit and the right to work. I have been in the UK for a while now and I work here as well. Can you please clarify that? Or do you mean it's him who needs the EEA family permit to work?

And speaking about genuine relationship, how are we supposed to prove it?

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Apologies, I did not intend to include the passage relating to the family permit. He would have to apply for an EEA Residence Card in order to regularise his status.
You provide your relationship with your statements about the relationshipn and other documentary evidence like:
• Evidence of correspondence between you both showing that the relationship is credible and genuine (eg. Emails, letters, evidence of previous trips, photos showing you together, phone records
Tom
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Is there any further information you require?
I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on the information I have provided.
Kind regards,
Tom