Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

I live in Dubai and are relocating back to the UK Aberdeen

Customer Question

I live in Dubai and are relocating back to the UK Aberdeen Scotland and wish to take my maid who is Filipino back to the Uk with me, have been told I can but only for 6months I wish her to be in UK permanent please advise
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your patience.
The only provision in the immmigration rules to specifically cover domestic works is a "domestic work in a private household visa":
https://www.gov.uk/domestic-workers-in-a-private-household-visa/overview
Unfortunately, the home office that you have spoken to are correct in that this is a temporary visa and they can stay for only up to 6 months.
There is no way around this unfortunately. It stems from the policy that jobs in the UK should be filled by the exisint resident labour force, rather than cheaper non-UK staff.
People have attempted to get around it by attempting to sponsor such worker for Tier 2 General Sponsored Skilled Worker visas, but this fails because the eligiblity criteria indicate that the employment role is not one on the "jobs in shortage occupation list" which is required to be eligible.
I really am sorry, but it's 6 months maximum or nothing at all unfortunately.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Tom
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Is there any further information you require?
I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on the information I have provided.
Kind regards,
Tom