Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

I am an American with a British fiance. I have currently

Hello I am an American with a British fiance. I have currently been living in London on a tourist visa for the past 6 months, and I leave to go back to the state on June 7. He has filed for an American fiance visa and we have been told that it could take up to a year for his visa to be approved. When can I come back to the UK on another tourist visa to see him? Are there any other options for us to be together during this 1 year period while we are waiting for his US visa to be granted?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
All visitors cannot spend more than 6 months in any 12 month period in the UK.
So, if you are just about to reach 6 months in the UK then you would have to leave the UK to return to the states. You would then have to wait at least 6 months before you are able to either apply for a visa or attempt to enter the UK under the visa waiver program.
If you attempted to come to the UK any earlier then you would attempt to be entering in circumstances where – if you were actually granted entry – the you would breach the 6 months in any 12 months period general principle and would almost certainly be refused entry.
There are not really any other options because the window of time which you would ideally like to come here is so small. It probably rules out applying for a student visa or work visa for this reason.
I am sorry.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Tom