Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
13262538

Can my son have child support from his runaway father after

Customer Question

Hi. Can my son have child support from his runaway father after 19 years. His father USA citizen and my son(20 years old) Russian,British citizen and have American Birth Certificate. Thank you.
Category: Immigration Law
Why have you not claimed maintenance in the past?
What is your son doing now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for reply. I was married and my son born in Russia. He runaway and I didn't know were is he, he left Russia. It was not regulation between Russia and USA about child support. With out money,he left me with nothing...I couldn't have professional help. We live in UK last 12 years, we are British citizen, I'm in the small income and my son finished 2nd year in University. I couldn't trace him all this years,he was waiting 18years and now I new where is he. I ask for help in Citizen Advice, probably in 2008, I was told with out address and place,where he is working, they can't help me.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm sorry for spelling mistakes and my bad writing in English. I couldn't afford professional help all this years, he lives in USA, Florida and very successful. About month ago I watch a film 'Runaway father' and why I'm asking,maybe it's not late? I forgot to tell, I divorced him 7 years after he runaway.

I am afraid that it is too late for you to make any claim in respect of the past, but your son himself could make an application for maintenance to help him through his remaining year at University
Whether it would be worth the effort and the long wait for enforcement is a different matter
Please ask if you need further details