Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

I,m English and lived the US but moved back here to take care

Customer Question

I,m English and lived the US but moved back here to take care of my parents.I,ve been working for a company for 3 months on a wage that will meet the 18600 requirement.Does my American wife have to wait 3 more months and apply in the US to join me here or can she come on a 6 month visitor,s visa and apply in the UK?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
Unfortunately, if you have already moved to the UK then your wife will have to make her application for a spouse visa from the US.
This is because a visit visa is subject to the requirement that a visitor must leave the UK before the expiry of the 6 months leave they are granted when they enter. This is taken to mean that they cannot apply to switch to another visa category from within the UK and it is applied very quickly.
Your wife could attempt to enter on a visit visa so that she could be here for a period of time until you reach the 6 months required to meet the financial requirement, but she would have to return to the US to actually make the application for the spouse visa. The immigration entry officials may have some questions for her in attempting to enter due to you being here and the potential that she make seek to stay however
I am sorry.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Tom