UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

My name's Ryan. I am Australian. I am currently in the

Customer Question

Hi, my name's Ryan. I am Australian. I am currently in the UK on a 5 Year UK Ancestry Visa. I am coming up to being in the UK for 5 years and hoping to continue to live here. I have looked on the gov.uk website at applying for British Citizenship so I can get the British Passport. What I wanted to find out is - My job is, I play football and have done a lot of travelling over the 5 years and I think I am over the 450 days within 5 years. I am wondering does this make me unable to get a British Passport even thought I live in the UK but have been out of the country for more than 450 days due to work reasons?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
Hello Ryan,
You first need to apply for indefinite leave to remain at the end of your ancestry visa and then wait for a year before you may apply for British Citizenship. If you are married to a British Citizen, you may apply for British Citizenship immediately when you get indefinite leave to remain.
There is some discretion as regards ***** ***** the UK provided that you have not spent more than double the permitted allowance out of the UK e.g. You should not have been absent for more than 900 days in the qualifying period.
I suggest you read pages 7 & 8 of this booklet to gain a better understanding of how discretion will be exercised
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/432525/AN_Booklet_Jun_2015.pdf
May I help further?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your message above. I would like to start the process of getting my indefinite leave to remain status. My UK ancestry visa expires on the 9/5/2016 and my current employment contract runs until the 31/5/2016 so I would really like to start it early to ensure no problems come in May. What needs to be done on my end and are you guys able to help out with the application forms and anything else I need?