Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

Is it possible to have someone's citizenship revoked

is it possible to have someone's citizenship revoked
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Can you explain the situation a bit more please?
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I married a Bangladeshi man and fought hard and paid thousands of pounds to get him citizenship I also fought for his 2 children from a previous marriage, he was an illegal immigrant when I met him. While in bangladesh I fought hard to get him back here and visited him 7 times in 2 years from 2004 until 2006, but I later found out after he got his citizenship that he married someone else in 2005 and fathered 2 children

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Do you mean that he was already married at the time he married you?
Kind regards,
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no I married him in 2003 and he only gained permission to enter the country on the understanding that this was a genuine marriage which in my case it was, but while he was waiting for me to get him permission he met and married someone else but still maintained this was a genuine marriage

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
When did he receive his UK citizenship please?
I will be able to answer after you have replied.
Kind regards,
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

2009 but he waited for his childrens indefinate leave to remain before asking me for a divorce

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
I’m afraid that if he obtained his citizenship 6 years ago and he has children in the UK then it’s unlikely that the home office would take action to revoke his citizenship.
Basically, the home office can take action to revoke citizenship where it “conducive to the public good” or if citizenship was obtained as a result of fraud.
So, if it were the case that the home office had incontrovertible proof that the marriage was not genuine then they may sometimes take action to revoke citizenship. However, where they do not have proof (or sufficiently strong proof) they will be unlikely to take action because proceedings like this are very expensive and it’s public money..
Similarly, if he has children who are minors (ie. not adults) then they would also be much less likely to take action because he would have a human rights argument agains being deprived citizenship, because he needs it to look after his children.
On this basis, it’s probably fairly unlikely that they would take action given the lapse of time.
It’s awful of course and I am very sorry for you.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you at least now I know its tough to watch him bring another wife and 2 children into the country and live just down the road from where i live but I will have to put up with it I thought perhaps it would help other women in the same situation and stop this heartbreak and travesty going on, oh and by the way his children who I helped bring into the country are adults aged 23 and 22 thank you for your help

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome. I know it's tough and you have my sympathies.
Tom