Alice H, Solicitor Advocate
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

I'm Bolivian, but have lived in england years, and

Hi. I'm Bolivian, but have lived in england for 5 years, and I am now a British citizen. I am a single mother. I would like to bring my 7 year old Bolivian son to live in england with me and my English husband. Can he apply for a British passport from Bolivia? Or does he have to come to england on a visa? Which forms do I need to fill in? Thanks for any help.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you. Please clarify: is your son dependent on you? Who does he live with at the moment?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Alice

Yes my son is dependent on me. My son currently lives in Bolivia with my parents. I want to bring him to England to live with me permanently as I am now a British citizen and settled in England with my English husband.

Thanks for the reply. I look forward to your next reply.

***** *****

Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
Your son will be applying for a Dependant Visa.
You will be sponsoring the application.
If an application for a Dependent Visa is successful your son will be granted leave to enter the UK and the freedom to live in the UK without restriction.
You can the paperwork yourself but it would be advisable to instruct an immigration lawyer to assist you - they will gather all information needed and help you submit the paperwork.
Alice
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Alice

So which application form do I need to fill in? It's confusing when I searched for the form. Can you be more specific? I'm still a bit confused.

***** *****

Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
Yes of course. Bear with me and I will get you the link.
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
This is the link which gives more information: https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-ukPLUS this is the application link: https://www.gov.uk/apply-uk-visaUsing the application link you can also see what documents are needed in support of thr application.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks. I'm assuming I'll fill the form in on his behalf? as he is only 7 years old. Also when registering an account for the visa do I need to register using my son's name, address in Bolivia etc?

Shirley

Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
Hi Shirley
You can register the account using your e-mail but of course will need to put your son down as the applicant and yourself as his sponsor. You can attach all the necessary paperwork to the application and pay the fee. From his side he will need to produce his passport and an adult will have to be nominated as his guardian to help him with any paperwork over there. But you will see when you go through the application process that details of where he is staying and with whom is in the form. It is actually reasonably straightforward.
Alice
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK. Thanks very much for all your help.

Much appreciated.

***** *****

Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
It was my pleasure. Can I assist further?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I think we'll be OK for now, but we will contact you if we need anything.

Thanks very much

Shirley

Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
Please take a moment to rate my answer. Have a great evening.