Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

I have dual citizenship, British/Canadian. I am returning

Customer Question

Hello.
I have dual citizenship, British/Canadian. I am returning to live permanently in the Uk. I have found a small house I wish to buy in the UK. I have placed an offer for it, subject to the surveyors report. Can I buy it by sending my money from Canada, after fulfilling my tax obligations there?
Victoria
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
You can but you will need to verify your identity with the solicitor in the UK from Canada. This will involve you seeing a local Canadian solicitor or notary in order to verify your passport and confirm that the photo is a true likeness of you. They will then provide this to the solicitor in the UK acting in the purchase.
You solicitor in the Uk will advise you what to do, it will take a bit of forward planning but it is do-able.
Your solicitor will also require you to sign the Contract and Land Registry transfer for the purchase and because you are outside the UK will likely arrange getting these you well ahead of the proposed date for exchange of contracts in the purpose.
Basically, yes, you can do this but you will need to co-ordinate closely with your UK solicitor about this and make them aware from the start of the transaction.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Tom.

Thank you very much. Regarding the tax issue. Will revenue Canada

tax me if I have purchased a Uk property, for the few weeks, that I shall

be in Canada on completion of the property? OR Will I have to hotfoot

it back to Britain immediately on property purchase completion.

Bit of a tongue twister!

Of course I quite undetstand if this will cost me more for your answer.

Kind Regards.

Victoria

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Hi Victoria
I cannot comment on the Canadian tax treatment of the property or assets, I am a UK solicitor and experienced in UK matters only. However, I believe there is a Canadian exit tax and also capital gains tax. You need to take advice from a Canadian accountant in this regard.I expect that the property value may be taken into account to some extent.
Ton