Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.

Thomas,This is a question about naturalisation as a

Customer Question

Hello Thomas,

This is a question about naturalisation as a British citizen for an EEA citizen.

This is my circumstance: I'm an EEA citizen from Spain and I was given the Permanent Residence card in June 2010 after proving 5 years exercising the Treaty rights.

Now (5 years later) I'm trying to apply for naturalisation. During this last 5 years I have been living in the UK as a self-sufficient person. While filling the Form AN, I have encountered a couple of problems in relation to the Residence requirements and the supporting documents needed for this.

In 2.2 the form asks to give all absences from the UK during the last 5 years. Does this need to be filled by EEA citizens? If affirmative, what documents are needed to show this since EEA passports aren't stamped?

In Section 3 of the "Supporting Documents" part, the form asks for "evidence of lawful residence" during the 5 years before the date of the application. These documents can be a passport OR letters from "employers, educational establishments or other Government Departments indicating presence in the UK".

Would an EEA passport qualify considering it isn't stamped? If not, what other documents can be used to indicate presence n the UK? I can't provide what the form specifically mentions (i.e. letter from employer, educational institution) because I haven't been in employment or enrolled in an academic institution during this period. What other documents are valid? Council tax bills, tenancy contract, letter from landlords...?

Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Nicola,

Yes, go ahead and close the question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Nicola,

I'm still waiting for the refund of my money.