How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Thomas Your Own Question

Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 941
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

Thomas,This is a question about naturalisation as a

Customer Question

Hello Thomas,

This is a question about naturalisation as a British citizen for an EEA citizen.

This is my circumstance: I'm an EEA citizen from Spain and I was given the Permanent Residence card in June 2010 after proving 5 years exercising the Treaty rights.

Now (5 years later) I'm trying to apply for naturalisation. During this last 5 years I have been living in the UK as a self-sufficient person. While filling the Form AN, I have encountered a couple of problems in relation to the Residence requirements and the supporting documents needed for this.

In 2.2 the form asks to give all absences from the UK during the last 5 years. Does this need to be filled by EEA citizens? If affirmative, what documents are needed to show this since EEA passports aren't stamped?

In Section 3 of the "Supporting Documents" part, the form asks for "evidence of lawful residence" during the 5 years before the date of the application. These documents can be a passport OR letters from "employers, educational establishments or other Government Departments indicating presence in the UK".

Would an EEA passport qualify considering it isn't stamped? If not, what other documents can be used to indicate presence n the UK? I can't provide what the form specifically mentions (i.e. letter from employer, educational institution) because I haven't been in employment or enrolled in an academic institution during this period. What other documents are valid? Council tax bills, tenancy contract, letter from landlords...?

Thank you.

Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Nicola,

Yes, go ahead and close the question.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Nicola,

I'm still waiting for the refund of my money.


What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
< Previous | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
  • UKSolicitorJA's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    English solicitor with over 12 years experience
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Immigration Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    US immigration attorney licensed in state and federal court.
  • Alice H's Avatar

    Alice H

    Solicitor Advocate

    Satisfied Customers:

    Partner in national law firm

Related Immigration Law Questions