James Mather
James Mather,
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

I AM A bRITISH CITIZEN AND HAVE JUST MARRIED A THAI NATIONAL

Customer Question

i AM A bRITISH CITIZEN AND HAVE JUST MARRIED A THAI NATIONAL IN HONG KONG.
I AM ALSO A PERMANENT HONG KONG RESIDENT.
1. DO I STILL NEED A VISA FOR HER TI VISIT UK AND IS IT ONLY VALID FOR 6 MONTHS AS NOW.
DO I STILL NEED SHENGHEN VISA FOR HER AND HOW LONG IS IT VALID FOR AND MUST I PRODUCE ALL THE PAPERS AS BEFORE
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  cityguru replied 2 years ago.
Hi thanks for your question . I am afraid that your marital status makes no difference to your wife requirement for a visa. She will continue to require a visa to visit the uk and as a visitor her visa will be for 6 months. If you want to move to the UK she will need to apply for a spouse visa and meet the various requirements for that. Under EU rules she may continue to need a visa unless she has a residence permit in another EU state. She is entitled to accompany to an EU country but you should check the embassy of your destination for the visa requirements. So it is likely that you will need a schengen visa.