UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I have indefinite leave to remain in an old expired passport, a letter from the home offic

Customer Question

I have indefinite leave to remain in an old expired passport, a letter from the home office stating I have indefinite leave to remain and the ability to work and employment history dating back over ten years. I have been told I need a ntl to work. Is this right? Home office implies its a voluntary thing?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
The NTL simply shows evidence of your right to work. Your ILR status remains the same whether or not you apply for NTL and you are free to work without any restriction on your ILR status.
Hope this helps
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you I thought I was right. I am starting a new contract with a recruiter who said I needed ntl and if I didn't get the ntl card they would inform the client I was working illegally!!! Thanks again ūüėä
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have been thinking about this advice last night. Does this still stand taking into account the right to work guidance issued by the government. Am I still okay and compliant with the documents I have? Would I just need to say to the client that the agency is following the issues guidance without it being a legislative requirement?
Hello again,
As you correctly note, guidance is just that, guidance, it is not the law. The law says that anyone with ILR is entitled to work without any restriction.
Hope this clarifies
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. It is definitely just guidance the right to work checklist? I am worried about my reputational damage if she starts making comments to potential clients that I am an illegal worker.
Yes, it is just guidance. You may choose to apply for NTL for peace of mind and to stop confusion about your status.
All the best