Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

I'm a British citizen engaged to a Nigerian. We want to live

Customer Question

I'm a British citizen engaged to a Nigerian. We want to live in England. What is the best way for my partner to come and join me. I'm thinking of applying for a fiancee visa to get married in England. Is it better to get married in Nigeria or England? Are there any pros and cons with the fiance visa as opposed to the spouse visa? Thanks
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Hi Thanks for your patience. Do you meet the financial requirement for a fiance/spouse visa?Kind regards Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes I meet the financial requirements. I earn £29,000 a year

Thanka

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
The pro’s for applying for a fiance visa are that you will be unmarried at the point you make the application. So, if the application is rejected (for whatever reason0 then you are not stuck being married but living in different countries and facing a lengthy appeal procedure).
The con’s for a fiance visa is that you have to make two applications: once out of country for the fiance visa and then one more in the UK once you are married. There is obviously a cost impact to this because you are paying two fees and also an admin burden as to documentation.
The further con with a fiance visa is that you have to evidence your intention to marry with documents. So things like purchase of a ring, evidence of having met (photos correspondence etc), booking of a wedding venue, evidence of invites etc. If you book a venue and make other arrangements and then the fiance visa is rejected then there is again a further cost impact.
The pro with marrying outside the UK and applying for a spouse visa is that if approved you won’t have to make an application for another 27 months and once approved the process is very simple. It is also cheaper because there is only one application.
The con is that if the application is rejected then you will be married but in separate countries for an indeterminate amount of time.
Basically, if you were to see a local solicitor with your evidence and ask them to give you an indication of your chances of getting a spouse visa and if they say that you are eligible then the chances of a rejection of a spouse visa are reduced so you can deal with the “con” stated above of a spouse visa in this way.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for getting back to me.

I've looked at all the requirements for a spouse visa and I can provide all of them. It's cheaper to go for the spouse visa. I'll contact a local solicitor with my evidence just to be sure.

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I think that's prudent. Good luck and congratulations on your marriage. Tom