Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator

There.My husband [Greek national] wnats to apply to

Customer Question

Hello there. My husband [Greek national] wants to apply to be a UK citizen. I have downloaded the application forms and guides. We are a married couple and have been living and working in the UK since 2004. After reading all the docs, I am confused by the section on 'applicants from switzerland or the EEA' being asked to supply a permanent residence certificate or card along with the application. is this necessary if he is married to a UK citizen? The thing is that we want to apply before November when the rules change for the required English exam, [currently ESOL] and an initial application for a residence certificate can take up to 6 months to process? Any advice appreciated, thanks. Clare Arhimandritis.

ps, just read that you must have an ILR/permanent residence status 12 months prior to applying for citizenship. Is this correct?

Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 1 year ago.
He does not need a permanent residence certificate or document, as he has been living and working in the UK since 2004, he is automatically a permanent resident and eligible to apply for British Citizenship straight away.
May I help further?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thankyou for your assistance. Can you answer the following;

1. The criteria he must fulfil.

2. I have booked his B1/ESOL 3 English test and Life in the UK test for September. Is there anything else?

3. Which is the correct application form? I have downloaded the 'Form AN' from the Home Office website which is dated May15?

4. How long would the application process take, and is there anyway to speed it up, ie with a face to face appointment? If so is there an office in Glasgow? We have a holiday booked for New Year so will need his passport.

5. I believe the ESOL certificate will no longer be accepted for applications after Nov 15. Does this mean he would need to sit another English test if we delay the application till Jan 16?

6. Lastly, what is the ESOL exam being replaced with? There is no information I can see on the webites I have researched.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your message, I was wondering why the delay? Yes, I would like to wait, although I need an answer to the above by tomorrow 1300 otherwise I will have to make other arrangements and would not be happy to pay in that instance.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Please understand it is rare for us not to be able to find the right Professional to assist our customers. We can close this question and return your good faith deposit to the original funding source on request.
Please let me know how you wish to proceed and again I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
I hope you will give JustAnswer a try again in the future,