UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Madam, I have recently been appointed a Trustee

Dear Sir/Madam,
I have recently been appointed a Trustee at a charity which has turned out to be in severe financial difficulty, which may potentially lead to insolvency. The Charity is a company limited by a guarantee and I hadn't contributed to the financial decisions which led to its current situation; however, I am concerned about the impact of the charity's potential insolvency status on my future application for naturalisation in the UK. I have been advised that being a Director of an insolvent company could lead to my application being turned down or treated less favourably - is there any substance in this claim and could it indeed affect my citizenship eligibility or likelihood of my application being accepted?
Many thanks for your help.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
You are not personally liable for the debts of the charity as it is a separate legal entity from the trustees/directors and you were not involved in making decisions which led to the charity falling into financial difficulties.
You do not need to worry, there will not be an impact on your naturalisation application.
May I help further?