Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

Re: partner financial requirements. My partner and child

re: partner financial requirements.
My partner and child are trying to join me in the UK this September
We need to meet the financial requirement of £22,400 (adult + 1 child)
I'm earning 65k per year but only been in the job 3 months but have £83k savings.
Is this going to be possible?
thanks
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Hi Thanks for your patience. If you have cash savings of £83000 which you have held for at least 6 months at the date they make their application then you meet the financial requirement based on cash savings alone.Please refer to section 7 of the financial requirement guidance for confirmation of this:https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/420154/Appendix_FM_Annex_1_7_Financial_Requirement.pdf Provided that you are able to evidence this and the savings are also compliant with section 7.4.3 then you will meet the requirement and they can confidently apply. You will also have to show that you can support/accommodate your yourselves without the need to access public funds but presumably this is not difficult for you. My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question. Kind regards, Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks - I thought the first £16k of savings could not be counted? and the application would be for 1 adult + 1 child

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Yes, but your savings are so far over £16k that the proportion that is allowed to be used are sufficient to meet the requirement. £83k would translate to effectively £26, 800 per annum ((£83k-16k)/2.5)), which is more than sufficient. Kind regards,Tom
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

so I could use just my savings for both my partner and my child's applications without reference to my earnings from work?

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Basically, yes. However, you should also demonstrate that you are earning money from employment as well just for completeness even though you do not need to actually rely on it for the purpose of showing that you meet the financial requirement.To
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

what if the savings were only £63,ooo (just checked) and Ive only been working 3 months..

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
I will answer at 9am
Tom
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
If you have £63k then this translates to £18800 for the purpose of meeting the financial requirement, which is £22, 400.00 for a spouse and a child together.
This means that you would probably have to wait a further 3 months and then rely on the income from your employment.
However, if the child is a UK citizen then they are excluded from the financial requirement and you could apply. If you would like me to check whether the child is eligible for UK citizenship I can but would need to ask you a few more questions:
1. What nationality are the child's parents?
2. Where and when was the child born?
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi - British and Thai ..

it just seems absurd that £65k savings held for 6months + 3 months into a salary @£55k per year isn't enough..

thanks for your advice

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Was the British citizen parent of the child born in the UK to UK parents?
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no unfortunately

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Please tell the formula if i want to work out £65000 for dependant and 1 child. And 3 months salary is no good even if quite decent at more than 50k?

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
I will be able to answer at 9 a.m.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thankyou i look forward to it

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
9am
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
If you refer to section 7 of the financial requirement guidance for confirmation of this:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/420154/Appendix_FM_Annex_1_7_Financial_Requirement.pdf
You will see that the formula for working out what proportion of the savings can be used towards the financial threshold is ([savings amount]-16, 000)/2.
This means that £65k is not quite sufficient. This means in the circumstance you will have to wait a further three months until you reach 6 months of employment in order to apply.
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thankyou. have only been working 3 months due to working overseas - can those earnings be considered?

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
No. Only once you have been employed for 6 months can the income be counted, which is why you must wait until you reach this time.
Tom