James Mather
James Mather,
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

My boyfriend and I are thinking of getting married but not

Customer Question

My boyfriend and I are thinking of getting married next year but not sure if he should switch to Spouse visa as he is currently on Tier 2 visa (sponsorship visa for one and half years already).

The reason being that we are not clear where in his circumstance should he is to switch his visa from Tier 2 to Spouse visa, does it mean that the counter to qualify for ILR restart again from 0 i.e. he will have to wait for 5 years before he can apply for his ILR, or whether the periods which he stayed in UK under the Tier 2(1.5 years currently) can be counted toward the years fulfilling the 5 years ILR requirement.

I'm currently have ILR and will soon become British citizen

Category: Immigration Law