cityguru
cityguru, Solicitor
Experience:  Approved Immigration Expert.
18726264

In May I was arrested assualt (first offence) I

Customer Question

In May I was arrested for common assualt (first offence) I spent the night in a cell and was bailed to return a couple of months later. On my return to answer bail I was told that it was to be taken to court.
I have since been to court and pleaded not guilty, so now the trial will take place in November as the prosecution didn't have any evidence on the day.
So I'm now in a situation where I am due to go to Florida next month with this common assualt situation hanging over me. I've read the ESTA form and I want to know whether I can answer 'no' to:-
"Have you ever been arrested or convicted for an offense or crime that resulted in serious damage to property, or serious harm to another person or government authority; or ever violated
any law related to possessing, using, or distributing illegal drugs?"
It seems to me that I can legitimately answer no as my scuffle didn't result in damage to property, cause serious harm to anybody etc etc. But I'm no expert!
I've actually completed the ESTA form and answered no and it was approved but I'd like the opinion of an expert in this field to calm my nerves.
Thanks for your time.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  cityguru replied 1 year ago.
Hi thanks for the question. It is difficult to know whether the answer you gave on the ESTA is correct without a detailed review of the facts. The reality however is that the US Border agency has no direct access to UK police records so unless you are on an interpol list or something similar there is no reason for the US authorities to refuse you entry once you have an ESTA.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for such a quick reply, it's really appreciated and certainly makes me feel better.
Expert:  cityguru replied 1 year ago.
No problem. Have a good holiday.