Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I'm a us citizen living n an abusive marriage in ireland can

Customer Question

I'm a us citizen living n an abusive marriage in ireland can any one help I have one child American born
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. IN Ireland you can get what is known as a Safety order which will bar your abusive partner from the home you are living in. You can also get the benefit of free Civil Legal Aid to take these proceedings. Go to your local Legal Aid office for free assistance or attend a private solicitor if you wish to pay and get an application for a Safety Order issued. Be aware that you will still retain custody of your one child. Additionally, if you wish, you can obtain a separation order as a prelude to obtaining a divorce, either in Ireland or in America, if you so wish. Financial arrangements, such as maintenance contributions can be dealt with as part of the separation proceedings. Be aware that your husband is obliged to contribute 14% of his net after tax income in maintenance in Ireland if there is one child of the relationship. In this way you can help to support your child. If you have further queries, I will be happy to help.