UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I am trying to apply fiancé visa to the UK (I am American,

I am trying to apply for a fiancé visa to the UK (I am American, my fiancé is a British citizen living in Northern Ireland) we plan to settle permanently in NI. When I apply at the UK.gov site it says I need to pay the IHS surcharge online during the application process in order for my visa application to proceed. I have tried to do this however at no point am I able to pay this surcharge or prompted to do so. It allows me to complete my visa application (and pay the visa fee) but then I am told I need t0o cancel the application and do another one and pay the IHS fee... but again - cannot do this... tried contacting the visa help line from the website and all I am told is, I must pay the fee...I know that!! I am trying... !! When during the online application process is this supposed to happen, and is there ANY other way for me to pay this fee and apply for my visa?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
The immigration health surcharge is for visa applications longer than 6 months. As your fiancée visa is only for 6 months, you do not need to pay the surcharge now but you will have to pay it later when applying for further leave to remain after you get married.
All the best
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you - however, now I am confused as the UK.gov website states that I do have to pay the surcharge even for the 6 mo visa (it may be pro-rated) and I need to show evidence of payment when I go to the biometrics appt.... is there any documentation online that supports your statement that I do not yet need to pay until I apply for the longer visa that I can refer to if I continue to have issues?