Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

My partner lives in Serbia and we would like to settle in the

My partner lives in Serbia and we would like to settle in the UK. I'm a UK citizen. What's the quickest and best type of visa to get her here?
Amanda
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your patience.
Is your partner a Serbian national?
Have you lived together for any period of time? if so, how long.
How much do you earn per annum from employment?
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes my partner is a Serbian national. We haven't lived together as yet. I earn £17,000 a year. She's a qualified teacher in Serbia so would actively seek employment in the UK.
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Okay.
How much do you have in cash savings between you both please?
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We have about £6000 in savings.
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. Drafting your answer now. 5 mins please.
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your patience.
Unfortunately, you do not meet the financial requirements for a visa based on your relationship. The requirement is that the UK citizen partner must earn in excess of £18600 per annum in order for the partner to apply.
Additionally, you could not apply even if you met the financial requirement without marrying because you have no cohabited for a period of two years.
Basically this means that unless your salary were to increase to above £18600 per annum, then he would be looking at applying for a Tier 2 general visa. This is a work visa, in which the applicant obtains a job offer from a sponsor willing to sponsor them for the visa.
The webpage on this is here:
https://www.gov.uk/tier-2-general/overview
He would have to find a job on the shortage occupation list which her could do:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/308513/shortageoccupationlistapril14.pdf
If he finds a job that he can do then the next step would be to apply for jobs from a sponsor employer. If successful he can then apply provided he meets the eligiblity criteria:
https://www.gov.uk/tier-2-general/eligibility
I am sorry that the options are limited for you though.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Tom