Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

My 46 year old daughter is a UK national living in and married

Customer Question

My 46 year old daughter is a UK national living in and married to a South African. How can she apply for a dual nationality passport
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. There is no such thing as a dual nationality passport. Your daughter can have two passports - one British one based on her being a UK national and a second one based on her being married to and living in South Africa for more than five years. It will then be up to your daughter to decide which passport to use when she travels or wishes to reside somewhere. However, there is no concept of a dual nationality passport. You can have two passports which will mean that you are a citizen of both countries. However, a person has to apply to each country's passport office separately.