Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I am a 44 years old British Citizen Female married

Customer Question

I am a 44 years old British Citizen Female married to a Turkish national.
I have prepared all relevant documents to apply for a spouse visa so he can join me.
The day I had an appointment with the solicitor my husband had to run away from Turkey because he was under death threats. He has now managed to enter Germany. I am a working woman earning £32000 and own my own home in London.
I would like to know what should I do to bring my husband to UK to join me.
Customer Onsoy
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. As you are a British citizen and you earn more than the necessary £16,800, you can get a spousal visa for your husband to come and live with you in the UK. This application can be made online and your husband only needs to forward his passport and your marriage certificate to the UK Border AGency in support of his application. The relevant form is known as a VAF4A and here is a link to it https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-for-uk-visa-for-family-settlement-form-vaf4a. The details of what is required is included in this brochure. The application should be made online here https://www.gov.uk/apply-uk-visa. Be aware that it is better to apply for a spouse visa as you are both married rather than seek to claim asylum on the basis of the threats made in Turkey. The UK Border Agency are not generally amendable to applications for asylum from other Council of Europe members who are also members of the European Convention on Human Rights, as Turkey is. So it is better to apply as a spouse.