UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I am an American national my fiancé is a UK national,

Customer Question

I am an American national my fiancé is a UK national, I intend to marry him in the UK in January 2016. I have been living in the UK with him on a tourist visa and recently I was detained at immigration after travelling to Spain. Customs and immigration ordered me to leave the UK by November 1st until I have the correct paperwork. My question is can I obtain the correct visa here in the UK before November 1st or do I need to travel back to my home country USA.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
You need to travel back to the USA and apply for a fiancée visa from there to enable you to come back to the UK to marry him in January 2016. Once you get marred, you need to then submit an application in the UK for further leave to remain as his spouse.
All the best
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there no way we can apply here before I return to usa??
What if we get married before the 1st of November ?
You cannot apply from here as there is a no switching rule from within the UK.it does not matter when you get married.

All the best