Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

I am an Iranian whom came over to Uk on 2003 as an student

I am an Iranian whom came over to Uk on 2003 as an student and married French lady on 2010 we both are here legally and stayed here during that time continuously legally in Uk.
holding Iranian passport with residence card of a family member of an EEA national for last five years, I suddenly realized my residence documentation finished 2 days ago, am I in any sort of danger? will I get deported or can I apply for indefinite leave to remain still?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
HiThanks for your patience.Your right to stay in the United Kingdom is not at risk. This is because your right to say it derives directly from your marriage to your spouse and not from your residence card. Therefore provided you can show that you are still married and in a loving relationship with your spouse you would not be supported by the Home Office. However the residence card is an easy way to show to your employer that you have the right to work in the United Kingdom. If they ask you to prove your right to work in the UK and they see that you're residence card has expired then this could cause a problem for you temporarily as to your employment. It also does not affect your right to apply for permanent residents and you should do this as soon as possible. Kind regards. Tom
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Is there any further information you require?
I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on the information I have provided. If you have no further questions then please do leave feedback.
Kind regards,
Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i'm a bit confused about your answer, just to confirm that due to marriage I can stay permanently in the uk without a visa right? however you advise to apply for permanent residence just to make things easier for work and travelling?
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Basically yes.
If you are married to your European Economic Area national spouse then you will not be deported provided they are working in the UK. However you must apply for permanent residence to prove that you have the right to work in the UK to employers and also to the home office if you were to travel out of the UK.
Tom