Ely
Ely, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  US immigration attorney licensed in state and federal court.
7286322

My American fiance working has I understand been

My American fiance working for UNICEF has I understand been asked topay £2700 to enable her to come to England. this sum will be returned when be she meets me in London. Fedex refused to release this money toher yesterday. Is this normal procedure, or is it a scam? R J xxxxxx

Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. You are being scammed, I am afraid. See HERE. Your fiance is not real - it is a scammer. They are pretending to work for UNICEF. There is a reason why you have never seen a LIVE VIDEO of her on Skype, for example, and only (fake) photos. She is not who you think she is. They will keep asking for money until they can't get any more. First, they will need money for a visa. Then they will want a ticket for the airplane. They may tell you that they have money, but it is tied up. Then, they will claim that they need exit tax, or bribe, or "insurance," or "proof of income," or something else. There is no such thing. This is just another method to steal money from you. Then they never arrive and a few days later, a "friend" or "relative" of the scammer contacts you to let you know that she has been detained/arrested by authorities and you need to pay more money. Or the money is "held up" somewhere, etc. The script varies from scammer to scammer. However, I hate to say that you are being scammed. You need to STOP contact with them and not send any more money. Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty. I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.