Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

HiI'm a British Citizen, my husband was granted an ILE

Customer Question

Hi I'm a British Citizen, my husband was granted an ILE in 2010 with an expiry date of 2013. He entered in 2011 and has settled in the UK with myself ever since. We were informed by the UK Border Agency and Airport Immigration Officers that an ILE is the same as an ILR. We were told that he would not need to change / transfer the ILE to an ILR due to them being the same. He therefore carries his old passport with this visa ILE together with his new passport when we enter / exit the UK, as advised by an immigration officer (no problems to date!). However, my questions is, can he apply for British Citizenship now? I'm concerned that we have been advised incorrectly and that he can only apply for citizenship once he has transferred to an ILR. Althought his can't be right if the ILE is the same as an ILR and he qualifies under the residency requirements!! Please help? Thanks in advance.

Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I would prefer it if you refund me. If you are unable to answer this question I can find an expert independently.

Please do so with immediate effect, thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Please refund me. It has been days since I asked a question.

I can find an 'expert' independently.

Please confirm details of refund.