Ely
Ely, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  US immigration attorney licensed in state and federal court.
7286322

I have a permanent resident card which has expired in August.

I have a permanent resident card which has expired in August. I am in England and need to go to Florida at the end of next week for 10 days.
can I use my french passport for that trip?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. The answer is yes. I am not sure what you mean by your greencard being expired. Understand that the ID can expire - the status does not expire (but it can be abandoned - see below). So if your status is still valid, your expired ID should not hold you from reentering as a Lawful Permanent Resident (although the authorities may detain you for a little time to ensure your status). However if you have lived outside the USA for a year or more one a greencard, and without a traveling document granted by USCIS, your greencard status may have been abandoned. See HERE (scroll down to "Abandoning Permanent Residence Status"). So let us assume your status is abandoned. If so, you can still reenter on your French passport. But you would want to apply for the ESTA/VWP program ahead of time - see HERE. This is just a pre-clearance for French citizens before granting an automatic 90 day visa. I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.