Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
13262538

My daughter is an overstayer, she is Jamaican. Her visa ran

My daughter is an overstayer, she is Jamaican. Her visa ran out 2007 she has been here since 2002. I am British, I was unable to prove that she is my daughter so.I was unable to spy for indefinite leave to remain when I did. What application can I make for her to get legal residency?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is***** shall do my best to help you but I need some further details first.How old is your daughter and have you had a DNA test?Were you born in the Uk?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

She is 17, no I did not have a DNA test, I got the errors on her birth certificate corrected. I was born in Jamaica. I was in the royal navy, we got leave to remain. I applied for indefinite after I left, I could not get her a new valid passport or any documents to apply for her indefinite.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
So you are now named on her Birth Certificate?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I am ...the birth certificate is now corrected to reflect my real name. The confusion was...I had a child at age 14 and I was registered with a deedpoll name I never used which caused the problem of me not being able to prove that I am the name person on the birth certificate. The deedpoll paper had incorrect entries on it which I did not realise until it was too late to make application for indefinite.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Are you British by descent?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No I applied for British citizen, im neutralized

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Any advice?

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
When did you do that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

About 4 months ago. Had indefinate leave to remain for about 5 years

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Where does the child's mother live?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I live in the UK... We both live in the UK. She lives with me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I would like a refund for the fee pay, my situation is too complicated for your advice. Thanks

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HI
I am not sure whether you are referring to your daughter or her mother - I understand that your daughter lives with you but what about her mother?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am the mother...I clearly stated my daughter overstayed in the country and that is why I need advice in regards

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
I am so sorry - it was a very wrong assumption of mine please accept my apologies - However I now need to know here her father lives
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He lives in Jamaica...she has no other relatives in Jamaica

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Is there any way she could leave the country discreetly at this stage?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No. ..I don't want her to leave..she has nowhere to go

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
I understand that and meant for a short period of time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No she cannot leave

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
When did she last see her father?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Never seen her dad

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
OK- Is he on the birth certificate and how many months to her 18th Birthday?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes he is on her birth certificate. She was born May 1998.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
That is a shame.Had he not been named at all then the fact that she is an overstayer would not have been as great a problem since the other parent would not have been an issue.As things stand you can -indeed you must - make an application for her to settle in the Uk and you must do this as soon as possible - and in any event before her birth dayhttps://www.gov.uk/settle-in-the-uk/y/you-re-the-family-member-or-partner-of-a-british-citizen/yes/some-other-way/child-under-18-and-children-who-have-turned-18-since-first-applyingThe fact that she has broken immigration law COULD be a reason for refusal - but it is not mandatory for a refusal to be given and the special circumstances can be considered and your account does give an explanation - and your service record is also helpfulThe form you need is herehttps://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-to-settle-in-the-uk-as-a-child-under-18-form-setfSpend some time going through it - and remember to also prepare a clear chronology and statement setting out your daughter's history acknowledging and apologising for the immigration breach and making it plain that she has no alternative options for her care I hope that this is of some assistanceClare
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do not qualify I do get child benefit and tax credits for my other children.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
But you have already been supporting her and will continue to do so - so you can make the application