Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

12/11/2015 03:39 Thanks, ***** ***** make any difference if we

Customer Question

12/11/2015 03:39 Thanks, ***** ***** make any difference if we get married in the states or in another country first? I'm visiting there in January, the reason I need him here asap is because I'm pregnant, due in May and I'm worried the visa might not come
through in time. Thanks, Loryn
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Hi Loryn It would not be that advantageous really, he would have to marry you and then return to the US (his home country, if you married outside the US) to make a spouse visa application from there. A spouse visa application is less demanding in term so evidence though, because you only have to prove that you are legally married as opposed to proving that you will marry in the UK as you would on a fiance visa. My advice would be to book a consultation - just you - with an immgiration solicitor as soon as possible with a view to instructing them to making an application for you. In the meantime you can do some research about how easy it would be to marry in the US so that you can apply for a spouse visa only. The immigration solicitor will advise you of your eligibility and what they would need from you in order to draft the application and prepare the supporting evidence so that you can then decide the best way forward.I would not make marriage arrangements until you have spoken to a local immigration solicitor who has confirmed your eligbility and advised you of what they need to do. If you needed him here by the end of April then you would be looking at making the application before the end of January to be safe so you reallly need to see a solicitor in person fairly quickly.Kind regards,Tom
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Is there any further information you require?
I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on the information I have provided. If you have no further questions then please do leave feedback.
Kind regards,
Tom