Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

I am am eu national myself, ive been married to an uk national

Hi. I am am eu national myself, ive been married to an uk national and i have been in england for 3 years. Does that make me eligible to apply for uk citizenship?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thanks for your question .I'm afraid that if you have only been in the United Kingdom for 3 years then you will not be able to apply for UK citizenship yet.This is because you must have "permanent residence " before you can apply for naturalisation as a UK citizen. In order to obtain permanent residence you must have been in the United Kingdom for 5 years. Once you have permanent residence you can apply to naturalise as a UK citizen if you are married to a UK citizen still and have been in the UK continuously with minimal absences for 3 years though. Please remember to leave feedback. Kind regards Tom