Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

Thomas, I'm getting divorced at the moment. My spouse is a Nigerian citizen an

Hi Thomas,
I'm getting divorced at the moment. My spouse is a Nigerian citizen and holds a residence permit because he's married to me (I am Portuguese and have British citizenship too).
We got married 2 years ago, but we have initiated the divorce process in September 2015 after being separated many months.
Should I inform the Home Office? Or is the family court responsible for doing that?
If i need to inform the Home Office, do you know where exactly i need to write to?
Thank you in advance.
Fatima
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
The contacts directory is not very good for the home office. However, I would suggest that you call the number on the following page:
https://www.gov.uk/contact-ukvi/european-nationals
If is for EEA nationals from outside the UK but they should be able to refer you to the correct department who will then give you the address for who you need to write to.
The family court is different to the home office and they will not advise the home office that you are divorcing, this is for you to do.
Once you have been given the correct address you will need to provide your full name/address and that of your husband. You will need to advise them that you consider the relationship has irretrievably broken down and that you are no long in a loving married relationship. You should also give the details of the divorce proceedings, including the court in which the proceedings have commenced and the stage reached.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tom,thanks for your quick reply. This is really helpful.Kind regards
Fatima
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Hi Fatima,
Thank you. Please do remember to leave feedback.
Good luck
Tom
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Is there any further information you require?
I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on the information I have provided. If you have no further questions then please do leave feedback.
Kind regards,
Tom