cityguru
cityguru, Solicitor
Experience:  Approved Immigration Expert.
18726264

My friend arrived in the UK yesterday from Syria. He travelled

Customer Question

My friend arrived in the UK yesterday from Syria. He travelled in the back of a lorry that went on a ferry from france to Brighton. At Brighton he approached the police. He was fingerprinted and sent to France this morning.
The French police have kept his passport and he needs to return to tomorrow.
Why was he sent to France? Surely he has the right to asylum?
What will the French do know?
How can he gets back to England?
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes please do try to find someone to answer the question
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  cityguru replied 1 year ago.
Hi If he claimed asylum on arrival in the UK but arrived from France then he can be returned there. Asylum seekers within the EU are required to seek asylum at the first safe country in which they arrive. That is why many migrants refuse to register or be fingerprinted when they arrive in Europe and many destroy their documents so their is no evidence of where they came form. He is unlikely to be readmitted to the UK. Sorry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They too fingerprints in Brighton. Where will they be stored?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also if he were to regain entry to the UK. Would he have any chance to get asylum if he said that he was put in a lorry in Turkey and didn't know where he was until he got to the UK?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry final question. He was interviewed in Brighton. Where will details of this be stored and who will have access?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It should say took his fingerprints.I would be very grateful if you would be able to answer by above queries.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  cityguru replied 1 year ago.
I am not available for phone calls at the moment I am afraid.
Finger prints of Asylum seekers are retained by a unit called the Immigration Finger Print Bureau. The UKBA has the legal right to require asylum seekers to provide fingerprints and they are normally retained for 10 years. The finger prints are also provided to an EU wide system called Eurodac. this is to prevent migrants from forum shopping for asylum. So once he has been returned to France he will not be permitted to apply for asylum here if his fingerprint records are matched in the future.
Again I am sure this is not the answer you want but based on what you say if he has already been returned to France then it is highly unlikely that he will be able to enter the UK legally as an asylum seeker.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Does he have to stay in France? If he goes to another country will he be able to claim asylum there?
Expert:  cityguru replied 1 year ago.
Hi sorry for the delay in response. He does not have to stay in France he may be able to go elsewhere in the EU unless the French try and deport him. In theory under the EU treaty he should claim in the first country he arrived in. If he is allowed to travel he may be accepted elsewhere