Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

My Italian boyfriend lives (rents) and works in the UK. I am

Customer Question

My Italian boyfriend lives (rents) and works in the UK. I am an American citizen. Our goal is for us to both be able to live and work in the UK. In the event I cannot get a work visa, what are my options for getting the equivalent of a US green card (I understand it is called "Indefinite Leave to Remain")?
First, can I marry an Italian citizen and get to stay in the UK? Does his nationality affect anything?
Please help me understand the process, timeline and fees associated with:
1. Going to the UK on a tourist visa and getting married while in the UK. What happens then...
2. Going to the UK on a finance visa...
3. Other options I'm not aware of.
Thank you, ***** ***** your time and expertise. We've been dating long distance for almost a year and I'm so emotionally exhausted. Clearly understanding all the options will help us make the smartest decisions.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your question.
Have you lived together in the same accommodation for any length of time? Please state how long, if so..
Kind regards,
Tom