Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

Thomas, My boyfriend is a guinea bissau citizen. Currently he lives in portugal. I am

Customer Question

Hi Thomas,
My boyfriend is a guinea bissau citizen. Currently he lives in portugal. I am a Portuguese citizen living in London since 2011. I am a full time worker. How can I help him to come and join me in London. What should I do
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thanks for your patienceHave you and your boyfriend lived together for any period of time and if so how long? Kind regards Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.Unfortunately, if you have not cohabited with your partner for a period of two years then you would not be regarded as unmarried partners for the purpose of the EEA rules.This means that you would have to marry outside the UK and have him apply as your spouse in order to get him here under EEA rules. Once you are married he will have to apply for and obtain an EEA family permit in order to secure his right to enter/remain in the UK to work. He will need to apply for it before she can travel and must submit the appropriate documentation show you are married and proving the other eligibility criteriahttps://www.gov.uk/family-permit/overview Once he has come to the UK on her family permit she will be eligible to apply to the UKBA for a residence card which confirms her right of residence in the UK on the basis of your marriage:-https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-a-uk-residence-card/overview I am sorry that you cannot apply now in your current situation. My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question. Kind regards,Tom