How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

If I came to the UK on a family Reunion in 2014 and divorce

Customer Question

If I came to the UK on a family Reunion in 2014 and divorce with my spouse, who happened to be my sponsor for the visa will I be eligible to stay in the UK?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your patience
What visa did you wife hold? What nationality is she?
Kind regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Family Reunion and Zambian
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Family reunion requires that one of you were granted asylum or 5 years humanitarian protection. Who had this? You or your wife ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry meant my spouse is the one that was granted 5 years
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
HiThanksDo you have any children in the UK?Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1 but not born in uk
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Who has residence of the child? You or your ex-spouse?
Are you involved in the upbringing of the child?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ex spouse and yes I have involvement
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
If you have divorced your spouse then your visa will most likely have been curtailed if the home office have been informed of your divorce.
However, if they are not aware of your divorce then it will not have been curtailed.
Basically, you will have to switch to another visa if you have divorced.
If you have a child in the UK and are involved in their upbringing then probably the best way forward would be for you to apply on the basis that you are a parent with access rights to a child in the UK.
However, it’s quite a complicated visa to apply for and I would not take any drastic steps until you have had a consultation with an immigration solicitor near you with a view to instructing them to prepare the application on your behalf and to help you with preparing the supporting documentation.
If you instruct a solicitor then you stand a good chance of securing a further visa so that you can remain in the UK,
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much Tom so does this mean I won't be deported
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
It means that you have to make an application for another visa. If you do this and you also instruct a solicitor to do it then the chances that you would be deported are very small...
PLease remember to leave feedback.

Related Immigration Law Questions