Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I'm American, my boyfriend is German. If we get married can

Customer Question

I'm American, my boyfriend is German. If we get married can I stay in the UK? What is the process? Will I be able to work without tier 2 sponsorship as well?
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm currently looking to get a tier 2 sponsorship visa. I just wanted to know if there are any opportunities that reflect the status of our relationship (i.e planning to get married soon). What requirements do we need to fulfill in order for me to stay living in London?
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. You can get a "family member of an EEA citizen" visa if you get married to your German boyfriend. You are most likely entitled to it now, if you are engaged and have been in a subsisting relationship for two years. This visa is for six months initially after which time you simply apply for a residence card as you then have the right to live and work in the UK. There is no application fee, as it is the fact your German boyfriend is an EU citizen which allows you to apply for this visa. Applications are dealt with within six weeks.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. Here is a link to the UK Government website which sets out the requirements https://www.gov.uk/family-permit/eligibility. You would be applying as an unmarried partner today. If you get married, then you would be applying as a spouse. Be aware of the requirements that your German boyfriend must be working or studying or able to support himself in the UK for you to get a visa as his family member.