Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

Hope you can help me. I want to apply to get a UK citizenship.

Customer Question

Hope you can help me.
I want to apply to get a UK citizenship. I have past all the necessary test and the only thing left is to do the paper work and send the info away.
I am from Latvia, EU country
Live here with intension to stay since September 2009
But last year I didn't work, lived from my savings, didn't ask for any benefits.
Can I get a citizenship if I haven't paid tax for a year?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. Yes, you can get citizenship even if you didn't pay taxes for a year. So long as you were in the UK and "exercising Treaty rights" namely looking for work and had sufficient money to support yourself, then you can apply for citizenship. It is not a pre-requisite for citizenship that a person be paying taxes. For example, many dependents or family members of people living in the Uk never pay tax at all. However, this does not prevent them obtaining citizenship.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. Accordingly, there is no bar to you obtaining citizenship just because you didn't pay taxes for a year.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
3. Please RATE the answer as unless you RATE the Answer your Expert receives none of the monies you have paid the website so there is no incentive to answer any further questions.