Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

We are dutch nationals and living here in london

We are dutch nationals and living here in london for 2 years.
our son is born in 18/10/2015.we would like to know if we can apply for a british nationality?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
Your son does not qualify for UK citizenship yet, but he may do in the future.
This is because you are not regarded as being “settled” in the UK, which means holding “permanent residence”. You and your wife can apply for PR after you have worked in the UK for 5 years. You will then be regarded as “settled” in the UK,
Once you have PR you can apply for a UK passport/citizenship for your child by applying under s1(3) of the British Nationality Act 1981:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1981/61
This is where a child becomes entitled to UK citizenship where their parents were not settled at the time of the child’s birth but have since become settled.
So, basically, in three years time you will be able to apply for your child’s passport.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,