Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

If I want to renew my residency in the UK, what does it involve.

Customer Question

If I want to renew my residency in the UK, what does it involve. i AM SOUTH African, married to an Ex South African who is a British Citizen . I have been out of the UK for the last few months due to personal circumstances. Do I have to go through the same paperwork as I did for the original spousal visa, and will I be penalized because I have been out of the country for the last few months. i have been married for two years.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. The first thing is that you won't be penalised on the renewal of a spousal visa for being out of the country for the last few months. However, you will have to go through the same paperwork you went through when you go your first spousal visa. However, the good news is that this will be the last time you have to do this, as after three years of marriage to a British citizen, provided you have been resident in the UK, you become eligible to apply for UK citizenship. So you should ensure you don't spend your time outside the UK as you will be able to apply for UK citizenship yourself in a year's time.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. Please RATE the Answer as unless you RATE the Answer your Expert will not receive payment for answering your Question so there is no incentive to answer any further questions.