Frantz I
Frantz I, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  Over 5 years dealing with EEA Law, Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Law.
80411141

My boyfriend is in the UK doing a PhD on a Tier 4 visa which

Customer Question

My boyfriend is in the UK doing a PhD on a Tier 4 visa which runs until January 2017. We would like to get married in the next year or so. What do we need to do in order to get a marriage visa? Do I need to be earning £18k or more? Could my parents act as sponsor?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Frantz I replied 1 year ago.
Applicants making a family-based application under Appendix FM must satisfy the financial requirement unless exempt. If you have no dependant child, the minimum income threshold that must be met is £18600. Income from 3rd party will not be counted.
I hope this clarifies your enquiry.
Expert:  Frantz I replied 1 year ago.
Could you please click on the rate button
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you confirm if the £18600 needs to be from one party or joint between the couple?
Expert:  Frantz I replied 1 year ago.
If you are the British partner, you are regarded as the sponsor and £18,600 would be the sponsor's annual gross income unless you have a savings of £62,500.
**********************************************************************
This is a simple question and answer platform. Answers expressed by the author in this platform are solely base upon the information provided by you. Under no circumstances should answers be relied up as immigration advice. Please note that the author accepts no responsibility for any reliance and it is your responsibility to seek independent legal advice before making any immigration application.