Alice H, Solicitor Advocate
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

My British born daughter (30) who lives in Sydney with her

Customer Question

My British born daughter (30) who lives in Sydney with her British born boyfriend (31) now wish to marry back here in the UK this July 2016,
This wish would mean that their elderly grandparents and family members can attend their wedding
What if any rules prevent them from doing so?
(both also have Australian passports)
Regards ***** *****
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Are they both Australian passport holders?
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
OK. They can apply for a 'marriage visitor visa'. It costs £85 to apply and usually takes 3 - 4 weeks to process. They will have a maximum of 6 months to marry at any licensed premises and must leave before the visa expires.In terms of eligibility they must show that they are both:18 or overfree to give notice of marriage, to marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK within 6 months of your arrival in a genuine relationshipvisiting the UK for less than 6 monthsleaving the UK at the end of your visitable to support yourself without working or help from public funds, or that you can be supported and housed by relatives or friendsable to meet the cost of the return or onward journeynot in transit to a country outside the UK, Ireland, Isle of Man and the Channel Islands
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
They can use this portal to apply:https://www.gov.uk/apply-uk-visa
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alison yes, they are and both now hold dual British and Australian passports
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I have provided you with some information about the visa system - but in any event if they are British passport holders there is no restriction on them returning to the UK to marry.