frantzgregory
frantzgregory, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  Over 5 years dealing with EEA Law, Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Law.
80411141

I am french and have been in the UK than 5 years.

Hi, I am french and have been in the UK for more than 5 years. Shall I get a registration certificate for my permanent residency? Will that protect my right to stay in the UK if the Uk leaves the EU?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  frantzgregory replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your enquiry.
All EEA citizens enjoy what is called an initial right of residence usually for 3 months. To extend the right of residence after that period, an EEA citizen may apply as a qualified person for a registration certificate only if the EEA national is a qualified person. An EEA national is a qualified person when they are in the UK as a worker, a self employed person, a self sufficient person, a student or a job seeker. A registration certificate is not essential as it merely evidences the right and does not create it.
How the rights of all EEA citizens in the UK would be affected if the UK leaves the UK remains unclear at this time.
I hope this clarifies your question.