Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

I have an Australian passport with the stamp giving me leave

I have an Australian passport with the stamp giving me leave to keep entering the UK. This passport has expired I have a new Australian one but they won't renew that stamp and I have to carry my old one around. I have Australian nationality but not British even though I have lived here for most of my life. My mother and my 4 children and three brothers are all British. So many scary stories around re Nationality and immigration. I wonder what I can do to regularise my situation - give me residence- apart from applying for British nationality Thank you
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your question.
Does your passport say that you have "indefinite leave to enter/remain" in the UK?
If not, what precisely does it say?
Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It says" Given leave to enter the United Kingdom for an indefinite period"
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Ho
Thanks. I should be abke to answer at 945am..
Tom
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
The only way that you can get around travelling with your old passport as well as your new one other than by naturalising is by applying for a “No Time Limit” application .
This is for someone who already has indefinite leave to enter and it updates your status to indefinite leave to remain. This would be noted on small biometric residence card which you could carry in your wallet and should solve your problems.
Information on how you can apply is contained here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-to-transfer-indefinite-leave-to-remain-in-uk-form-ntl
This is the only alternative to applying for naturalisation, but you should not that you will be without your passports when you apply for a period of time until the application is decided because you will have to send them with the application.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is useful information Tom. I am aware of a lot of the issues around immigration now and how scary it seems to be getting. Aware of the case of Myrtle the very elderly South African woman who is being returned to SA, even though her daughter has citizenship and cares for her.I 'm worried that I might slip through the net in a similar way. Last time I enterered with New passport they just repeated the same stamp. This time they won't, but could give me no advice as to how to proceed. Interesting that " given leave to enter for an indefinite period" does not give leave to stay.in Apassport earlier than this I had around 1970 I "a right to remain" kind of endorsement. I think it suddenly changed around 1979 -ish. But I though it was ok. What could happen if I don't do as you suggest?Is it as serious as we are given to believe?
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
If you have a spouse and children here then the chances of your facing deportation are very remote.
If you make a no-time-limit application and receive your biometric residence card stating you have indefinite leave to remain then you chances of being deported are nil.
Please remember to leave feedback.
Tom