Frantz I
Frantz I, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  Over 5 years dealing with EEA Law, Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Law.
80411141

I have got indefinite leave to remain through asylum in 2008.

I have got indefinite leave to remain through asylum in 2008. I applied for naturalisation last year in December. Got a refusal last week saying that i didnt meet good character since i worked before my asylum case was considered. What should i do from here? Condused
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Frantz I replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your enquiry.
There may be exceptional cases where a person will be granted citizenship even
where their application was refused.
Can you clarify the exact the reason the Home Office gave.
**********************************************************************
This is a simple question and answer platform. Answers expressed by the author in this platform are solely base upon the information provided by you. Under no circumstances should answers be relied up as immigration advice. Please note that the author accepts no responsibility for any reliance and it is your responsibility to seek independent legal advice before making any immigration application.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They said you were here without valid leave between 2004 when you entered U.k as a refugee. You were not therefore compliant with U.k immigration laws during this period. We wrote you on the 9th of December to ask how you wr maintaining yourself in the country during this period. You stated you wr working for Royal mail through quest employment and plaiting hair for a fee which clearly shows that you wr working here without permission and you cannot therefore satisfy the criteria at chapter 18 AnnexD paragraph 9.7c of the Nationality Instructions.
Expert:  Frantz I replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your enquiry.
If you were without leave in 2004 and you made your application in December 2015 which is 11 years later, it seems odd as Paragraph 9.7c clearly states that an application will normally be refused if within 10 years preceding an application the applicant has not been compliant with immigration requirements.
Can you clarify when from 2004 you were without leave until?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I arrived here on the 20th of September 2004. I claimed asylum in July 2007 and it was granted on the 28th of March 2008. I then applied for indefinite leave to remain and it came out on the 23rd of April 2013.
Expert:  Frantz I replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your further clarification.
It seems your application was refused because it was made within 10 years of when you were not compliant with immigration requirements.
I hope this answers your question. I would be grateful for a rating. I wish you all the best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your responses. I really appreciate.
Expert:  Frantz I replied 1 year ago.
Don't forget to hit the positive rating button.
Expert:  Frantz I replied 1 year ago.
Could you please click on the rate button.
Frantz I, Immigration Lawyer
Experience: Over 5 years dealing with EEA Law, Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Law.