frantzgregory
frantzgregory, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  Over 5 years dealing with EEA Law, Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Law.
80411141

I would like to apply UK permanent residency status.

Hello, I would like to apply for a UK permanent residency status. I have been working in the UK since June 2011 but have had gaps in employment during this period - would this disqualify me from applying? Many thanks for your help!
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
these gaps have not been more than 3 months
Expert:  frantzgregory replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your enquiry. Please don't forget to click rate before you leave.
I assume you are on a Tier 2 visa. So those granted a Tier 2 visa on or after April 2011 will only be allowed to apply for settlement after 5 years if they are earning a minimum sum depending on the date of application, which I think is around £35,000.
No more than 180 whole days absence are allowed in the 5,4,3,2 consecutive 12 month periods.
I hope this helps.
**********************************************************************
This is a simple question and answer platform. Answers expressed by the author in this platform are solely base upon the information provided by you. Under no circumstances should answers be relied up as immigration advice. Please note that the author accepts no responsibility for any reliance and it is your responsibility to seek independent legal advice before making any immigration application.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your reply!I am an EU national so I don't need a VISA to be able to work in the UK - I am not sure if that makes a difference to the requirements?My gaps are as follows:
20th Jul 2012 to 3rd Sep 2013 - have been away from the country
28th Jun 2013 to 3rd Sep 2013 - have been away from the country
25th Oct 2013 to 31st Dec 2014 - have been in the UK on a self-sufficient basisMy biggest worry is that during my 2 months as a self-sufficient person I did not have comprehensive sickness insurance so I might be disqualified to apply for permanent residency - is this a possibility?Many thanks!
Ok that piece of relevant information was missing from your question. I assumed you weren't an EEA national because people who are tend to say it at the start of their question.
So as an EEA national applying for permanent residency, continuity of residence is not broken by periods of absence from the UK for 6 months or less per year, or one absence not exceeding 12 months with reasonable excuse such as serious illness, study, or overseas posting.
The guidance coming out of the Home Office is to refuse an application from a self sufficient person if they do not provide evidence of comprehensive sickness insurance cover (CSIC). CSIC must also cover their family members.
I hope this helps clarify the situation and I am sorry this doesn't really help your situation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much, this does clarify the situation for me.